Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Bigger Than My Body

Nothing else to do but move forward.

Aside from a few side adventures today (Being sidetracked by a power outtage, and later the ongoing coverage from E3, some exciting stuff) I tread forward. With what must be done.

I've been assured by our make up artist that the supplies for the fx work for the big baddy in our next Monster Cops episode has been secured. I also am putting some production in motion with a second unit to get some B-Roll shots. And I'm laying down the layers for the new episode in the editing timeline in Vegas. The big plan, even without the major money, is to get the next 2 episodes done and possibly 3 so we have at least 4 to 5 episodes on this DVD we will put out in the fall.

I've also been in contact with a few theaters to hold some local (all over the triad, NC) screenings, still waiting on info from one more theater. We'll have AT LEAST one local screening near Winston Salem, NC.

Already got one backer in for IndieGoGo. If we can get a few more in then I won't really have to worry about the domain name disappearing in the next few weeks, and I can cover the cost to submit to the New York TV Fest. I would love to finally screen a Monster Cops episode there. Especially Monsters Vs. Cops, I think it would go over well with a big TV going crowd.

My main concern right now, other than money, is producing something a little more accessible with Monster Cops. Meaning, I know that if you see a video is around 20 minutes on the internet, you're bound to pass it up. If you really do want to watch this video, you have to make time for it, and you run the risk of forgetting.

Monsters Vs. Cops is 21 minutes long. Either you already like Monster Cops, or you're already looking for something long form to watch. If not, we lose you. Because with all the crap out there, 21 minutes is alot to ask of your normal internet goer. It's the reason I decided to do Minisodes, but the Minisodes are "cute" and are not a true representation of what Monster Cops is.

The key here is to, of course, create something that is so entertaining and epic that people will want to watch it. But at the same time, make it convenient for people to watch time wise. Yes, I'm talking about the very essence of the "Viral Video." We have yet to create any such videos and I feel Monster Cops lends itself to that very essence, or at the very least, has that potential, if we hit it right. I actually tested this theory with this upload.

I cheated a bit with that video. I placed the words "REAL" next to "WEREWOLF" just to see if it would at least get people to watch the whole clip. Which it did. 1 year later 112,000 views. This picked up in the last year since the topic of Werewolves had increased in popularity. Seems to have picked up quite a bit just in the last few months as well. And please see the comments on that upload. Very entertaining stuff.

The point is, I know there are alot of people who know and like Monster Cops, but I'm also aware that many of those people haven't taken the time to watch our episodes, mainly because they're just too damned long. So we have to make better quality Minisodes at less than 5 minutes, and make them true to the essence of Monster Cops. Comedy of course, but more Horror, more Monsters, more outrageousness. This will hopefully lead them to want to watch our other content.

So that's sort of the plan for Dead By Dawn. The episode itself is 17 minutes. But we'll do a 4 minute version to circulate. As I said at the top, I'm already moving on that. I'm also looking at 3 plots that would make better Minisodes. Alot of work to do, and I only hope we can get more pledges in. The more money, of course, the better chance we have of completing all this during the summer.

Working on that Teddy Bear ad was a tease. I know what I saw in my head, and I like what I had created, but in the end it still is just a "cute" little commercial. I think it's very much a case of "what I see in my head is bigger than the tools I have", but this is no one elses problem but mine. There is a part of me, that knows I can create some really great stuff with what I have. I know, I know, I've heard it before "But Patrick you've already created some great stuff with what you have." Yes, I know, but when I say GREAT, it's not anything I can really explain to you. The GREAT in my head is bigger than anything I've made or could ever convey with words. I have to show it to you.

I'm just looking forward to really showing you these stories. My body can barely catch up with my brain sometimes. Somehow, I'll find a way to get there. Right now I can only do what I've always done, do the best with what I've got.

Back to editing. I've got some possible ad assignments to consider. And I've got Vlogs to shoot.


A lot of life is dealing with your curse, dealing with the cards you were given that aren't so nice. Does it make you into a monster, or can you temper it in some way, or accept it and go in some other direction?
--Wes Craven

No comments:

Post a Comment

.