Wednesday, June 16, 2010

As I Wait For My Re-Intergration

My iTunes just started playing Skunk Anansie "Selling Jesus." It's a song off the soundtrack for the movie Strange Days. I played that soundtrack to death back in the mid nineties. Strange Days was a movie not everyone liked, but totally knocked me out. I loved it. It became a prime example of the kind of movie I was trying to model after. It's a movie you can't really put your finger on. Is it SciFi, is it Action, is it a Thriller, is it a social commentary on race as well as technology? It's a movie that qualifies for all of the above. Directed by Kathryn Bigelow from a story by James Cameron and a script by James Cameron and Jay Cocks. It obviously has that Cameron complexity that I love so much. It's never just one thing with him. It's gotta have equal parts thrills, technology, and romance, all wrapped up in an action plot. And with Kathryn Bigelow at the helm, it was bound to be an amazing ride.

A great cast with some great performances. Ralph Fiennes does well as our hero, and Angela Basset is just a total bad ass in this movie. I will say that if you're not in the right mind set, you may not like it. It does have something to say about race and social problems in general, but for me it really adds to the tension of the movie. It gives you the extra layer of depth, and enhances the big finish. The tension totally put me on edge, as I wasn't sure how this movie was going to have a happy ending.

This movie blew me away. It made me excited to write, because this movie was an example of something a little bit different at the time but still had a bit of that detective noir mixed in with a not so futuristic setting. Like Blade Runner on speed mixed with a little crystal meth. This movie comes to mind because of recent scripts of mine I keep coming back to. Right now I'm juggling so much and I needed to think of something to shock me back into the right frame of mind. It's been a heck of a week.

The first time I saw this trailer it blew me out of the water. I distinctly remember watching this for the first time in the theater and just being in awe. It really made me want to just fuckin jump out of my seat and go make a goddamn movie! As a matter of fact I did. It was called Vampire Killer, but that's another story.

Goddamn this trailer blows my mind. I watched it every chance I got back then on VHS tapes, and I do so now, thanks to YouTube.



Strange Days (Long Trailer)

No comments:

Post a Comment

.