Sunday, June 20, 2010

Clarity

“The two things that matter the most to me: emotional resonance and rocket launchers. Party of Five, a brilliant show, and often made me cry uncontrollably, suffered ultimately from a lack of rocket launchers.”
 - Joss Whedon

It's becoming very clear. I'm going to have to do a major overhaul with Monster Cops. Ok well maybe not a "major" overhaul, but reorganization is necessary in order to reach a specific clarification on what the exact goals are and how they can be achieved.

Vlogs will proceed, as will the fundraising (duh), but retooling what the minisodes are and what episodes can and will be produced, is a must, in order to understand what direction we are going in. What content will be available online, what will be available on DVD, what is going to screen in theaters, and how we can apply our marketing strategy to that.

Yes, jumbled words in cryptic tone, I know, but this is how I roll when I'm sorting it all out.

I need to be very clear about how to proceed here, as well as to exactly where I am proceeding to.

The current Minisodes don't really convey the right tone for what I think Monster Cops truly is, and what it maybe becoming.  I'm trying to stick to my own advice here and understand what I call the Franchise Discipline.  I know what I'm writing, but I have to be aware of how the audience is perceiving it, and how to improve upon that perception in order to truly tell the essence of this story as well as provide an optimal entertainment experience for the audience.

It's my fault of course. I went in with an idea, and could only really execute comedy with The Midnight Special. With these next few episodes, I was able to convey a little more of the action, horror, and drama. But now I need to clarify that although there is comedy here, this is not all we have to offer. There is horror here. There are Monsters here, and there is Gravitas and Depth for you to experience, even if on more subtle levels.

Yes, Patrick, but could you get any deeper about this?

Hey, I can't help it. I'm trying to make something real here. Well, as real as the illusions will allow.

So yes, I'm about to do a bit of filmmaking Feng Shui in this Moviemaking House.

"I feel like in telling stories, there are the things the audience thinks are important, and then there are the things that are actually important."
- JJ Abrams
"Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up."
- A. A. Milne

No comments:

Post a Comment

.