Saturday, December 6, 2008

Rest In Peace Uncle Forry

I can't sleep. So I get online and what do I find out? Forest J. Ackerman has passed away.

He did what most of us wanted to do for a living.  He was a professional fan of all things Sci-Fi, Horror, and Fantasy. 

This was the man that coined the phrase "Sci-Fi."


 I always enjoyed seeing stories about him on TV because they would always show his museum full of movie memorabilia.  The "Ackermansion" was a HUGE collection of all things Horror/Sci-Fi/Fantasy.  Spocks ears, Drac's original cape.

He was such an enthusiastic lover of the Sci-Fi / Horror Genre that it would make the geekiest of geeks fall in love with it all over again.  The man knew how to be a fan.  He made me proud to love monster movies.   His magazine, Famous Monsters of Filmland, was really the first Monster Magazine, long before Fangoria.  He really did make me proud to love this genre.

I'm sad that I'll never get a personal tour of the Ackermansion.  But mostly I'm sad that I'll never get to meet him.

Rest in peace Uncle Forry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

.