Friday, June 13, 2008

Good Night Saigon

It's one of my favorite Billy Joel songs of all time. It's wonderfully written, an excellent tribute and remembrance to those soldiers of the Vietnam War. It really captures the spirit of brotherhood and conflict that comes from war. Not that I truly know what that is, only a faint familiarity after talking to my father about Vietnam, and speaking to my brothers about the first gulf war. It's the kind of knowledge you gain from being part of a military family.

This song makes me cry. And now when I hear it I realize it's one of the few things that really expresses that particular feel I want to instill in some of the Monster Cops projects. Along with the horror, the comedy, and the B-movie fx, the passionate fervor of patriotism, empathy, and pathos that comes from brothers in arms, and humans at war. I don't think those words properly express it. Just listen to it.



I found this video on youtube. I posted this version because I remember when Billy Joel went to Russia. I remember watching the concert footage in 88 of his tour there. It fed my fascination of Russia. Always had a strong interest in the Soviet Union, even more so after I visited Russia in 93. Lemme tell ya, you haven't really lived until you visit the rest of the world and experience another culture completely different than your own. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

.