Friday, October 26, 2007

Fundable

First off I wanna say that I'm thinking of you California. My heart goes out to all the families, lost homes, and lost lives, as well as the men and women working to take care of the victims, and all the fire fighters out there.

I don't exactly remember the first time I had heard about fundable.com. But I had quickly learned that it was a great way to raise a small amount of funds, especially if you're attempting a short film. So I always planned on using it at some point. That time has come.

You set up a page, you set what amount you need, what it's for, and then you tell people about it. People can decide if they want to support you, make a pledge ($20 or more) via credit, debit, or paypal. You have up to 26 days to reach your target amount. If the target amount is reached then all pledges will be cashed in and money is collected. If the target amount is not reached, then all pledges disappear, and no one has to pay anything. Sounds like a great idea, and more than one short film has been made utilizing fundable.com.

I can't get this monster cops episode done without a bit of a budget. That was my problem last time. Too many no budget flaws getting in the way, too many compromises to the script. I cannot make that same mistake this time. I really need to display the kind of vision I have for Monster Cops, which means I'm gonna need some money. My target amount is $2,500.00. I've got the very basics to start with, and this money would actually help get the rest of the necessities to make this happen. Computer ram, hard drive space, props, FX, extra camera batteries, power supply, festival fees, and marketing, etc. I'll be utilizing much of my own money as well, as a matter of fact I already have, but this will definitely ensure things get done, and get done right.

I haven't gone live with the page yet. I'm actually quite nervous about getting it going. Once it's active, I have 26 days to raise the money. And I'll be telling everyone everywhere about the page, hoping to get all the pledges. So here's a sneak peek at the page.

Either way, this shoot has to happen, so I do have a contingency plan. And being the pessimistic optimist that I am, I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. I'm preparing to go this alone completely if I have to, completely no-budget. I'll be somewhat alone with the money anyhow, so it's only fitting if this doesn't workout, but hey, I have to try.

Maybe I'll grow some balls next week and go live with it right after Halloween.

Yeah right. Or maybe I'll win the 5 grand from Our Stage this time around. It would be somewhat fitting if we won the finals, seeing as the final round is on Halloween.
Monster Cops: The Midnight Special TRAILER, by onespartan on OurStage

But I seriously doubt it.

I gotta remember first though ... "Creativity First, Money Last." I know, I know, it's my own rule. I should really stick to it. Heck if Fundable doesn't workout, I won't have a choice.

And now for a quote I post about often, and most definitely in my situation (and perhaps someday I'll post what's really going on) this quote certainly applies.

You know in guerilla warfare, you try to use your weaknesses as strengths. If they're big and you're small, you're mobile and they're slow. You're hidden and they're exposed. Only fight battles you know you can win. You capture their weapons and you use them against them the next time. That way they're supplying you. You grow stronger as they grow weaker.

- Gene Hackman as Brill in ENEMY OF THE STATE

No comments:

Post a Comment

.